When I first moved to NYC, I spent a few months working as a health educator in an obstetrics and gynecology clinic for low-income families. The biggest part of my job: helping patients choose the best birth control method for them.
This contraceptive counseling was so important because we live in a time when there are so many options. This is fantastic! No matter your lifestyle, feelings about artificial hormones, or personal preferences, there’s a birth control option for you. Plus, if one method doesn’t work, you have a bunch of other options to try.
On the other hand, too many birth control options leads to overwhelm.
Your co-workers love their IUDs. Your cousin had an awful time with the implant. Your bestie swears by the pill. And your sibling relies on condoms.
Everyone thinks their birth control method is the best!
Choosing birth control is like finding the right sex toy: there’s no single right answer. While hearing about others’ experiences gives you IRL perspectives, ultimately you get to figure out what works best for you.
How to Choose the Best Birth Control Method for You
This overwhelm, and the need for personalized choice, is why I was so excited to chat with Her Radio about current birth control options!
In this interview I share:
- questions to ask yourself when choosing a birth control method
- where to get additional information about birth control (hint: talk to me fo’ free!)
- the different hormonal and nonhormonal options*
Plus I share a surprising stat about the number of unplanned pregnancies still happening in the US.
Unfortunately, we ran out of time before we could chat about even more juicy topics like
- the many reasons behind the high rate of unplanned pregnancy (lack of access plays a huge role)
- why couples in committed relationships use condoms (lots of reasons – more on this coming soon!)
- the rise of fertility tracking apps that make calendar-based contraceptive methods, or natural family planning, less woo and more practical + effective (Clue is my fave)
Guess you know what I’ll be writing about in the upcoming weeks!
Your Partner in Passion,
*For a complete list of birth control options, including pros/cons and personal stories, click here.